Sunday, January 30, 2011

Classic Army XM177E2

I just recently got this in the mail from the wonderful world of eBay. It was one of my highly desired airsoft since I started playing and collecting.


This is the first model that Classic Army made before the X-Series were upgraded. Pulling back on the charging handle does nothing but make a cool sound. On the X-Series, pulling back on the charging handle will lock the fake bolt to the rear (well 1/4 to the rear) to all access to the Hop-Up.

It's a direct replica of the infamous XM177E2 carbine that was used by many Special Operation Forces during Vietnam in the late 1960s up to the Gulf War and Somalia before the M4/M4A1 replaced it.

Members of the US Army Special Forces (Green Beret) with Local Vietnamese

US Air Force Security Policeman during Operation Desert Shield


It features many of the M16A1 body such as the Upper and Lower receiver and the pistol grip. It has A1 pistol grip that doesn't feature the finger groove that is on the A2 grips. The Classic Army replica has a 10.5 inch outer barrel with the unique X177E2 muzzle break that measures 4.5 inches. The muzzle break seems to be part of the outer barrel, so there are no -14mm threads for other flash hiders.

You can attach a rail platform on the carry handle for range sights (ie red dot sights or scopes). Or you can attach the better looking older 4x20mm AR Scopes for authentic looks.

The sights on the XM177E2 seems to be just two peep holes. One shorter than the other.

The replica has the thinner plastic hand guards unlike those on the M4A1 replicas. You can fit a 9.6v nunchuck battery, which i use. The carbine that I have has a fake gas block under the upper hand guard. The old CAR-15 five position butt stock, unlike the six position LE stock featured on the M4A1.



A shorten high cap magazine that holds 190 bbs was included in the package. There are spring loaded Mid-caps available by G&P, MAG, and Tokyo Marui.

Due to it being an M16 platform, the gearbox is a version 2. I'm not a big internal expert, actually I don't know anything about internals. I like to keep my internals stock of the manufacturer's gears. The only upgrade I'll be getting is a tightbore inner barrel.

Overall I like the replica. I've desired to get one for about 3 years to do a proper Vietnam LRRP loadout or just to have one in my collection. I haven't tested this AEG out on the field. The older AR platform has gain my interest over the recent months.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of these Classic Arms replicas being sold new in the box in major airsoft markets. Classic Army has been rather quiet nowadays, so I don't know if they officially discontinued the model or having some sort of problems with productions or being sued by major American and European companies. G&P has released news of their XM177E2 models coming out soon, one that is just the carbine and one with the M203 40mm Grenade Launcher. These are going to be off the shelves like hot cakes.

Hopefully I can keep this a little longer than my other airsoft replicas.

1 comment:

  1. Cool review. Interestingly, I noticed you were selling this on eBay this past week when I stumbled upon your blog and noticed the serial numbers on this unit and the one for sale were the same. Alas, the auction ended way too early in the morning in my time zone and I was unable to buy it. It's a shame you decided to sell this, as the XM177E2 is one of my favourite firearms and would be great in any airsoft collection.

    ReplyDelete